Start by preparing your utensils like every time we bake:
A scale, a large bowl, a whisk or mixer, a spatula, a fork, a pastry bag, and a cookie sheet covered with baking paper.
You will need the following ingredients:
2.8 oz of softened salted butter
4.6 oz of brown sugar
2 egg yolks
7.7 oz of self-rising flour
1.4 oz (1/3 cup) of cocoa powder
3.4 fl. oz. of water
And for the filling
8.75 oz of mascarpone
1.75 oz of powdered sugar
1 vanilla bean or one pack of vanilla sugar
Let's get started!
1. Ask for the oven to be preheated to 390° F.
2. In a large bowl, sift together the flour and cocoa.
3. Mix the sugar with the softened butter, the consistency should be creamy.
4. Add the egg yolks and mix well.
5. Add the self-rising flour and the water and continue to mix until combined.
6. Take some dough and make small balls with it. The dough will probably be sticky so don't hesitate to use a spoon or ice cream scoop.
7. Put the balls on the cookie sheet covered with baking paper.
8. Put it in the oven for 8 minutes, until the cookies are a little firm. Let them cool down.
For the filling:
Mix the mascarpone, powdered sugar and vanilla sugar (or the seeds of the vanilla bean which you have cut in half lengthwise).
Once all cookies are cooled and your filling is ready, place the frosting in a pastry bag, squeeze the mascarpone mix on one cookie, and top with another cookie (a bit like a big macaroon).
And enjoy! It's one of our favorite recipes ;)
Inspired from 100 recettes made in USA. Hachette Cuisine, 2014.